< Caring for Our Parks
< Park Police & Public Safety
| || |
Follows these tips to make your park experience safer and more enjoyable.
- Exercise in pairs or with a leashed dog when jogging or walking in the parks.
- Tell a reliable person the route you plan to take and when you expect to be back.
- Vary your exercise times and routes. Individuals who commit crimes such as assault, indecent exposure, rape, robbery, and theft frequently try to predict a potential victim's schedule.
- Runners and walkers should exercise in well-populated areas during daylight hours. Carry personal identification and an effective sound-making device.
- Know where emergency phones are located and that 9-1-1 can be dialed, without a coin, from any working payphone.
- Avoid using headphones because they mask important danger signs, such as a person approaching from behind.
- Trust your instincts. If you believe you are being followed, don't hesitate to request help from other citizens.